Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Allie was stuck. James or Andrew? James... or Andrew...? Her mind swam as she sat on her couch and laid her head back. Allie closed her eyes and thought. She had been with James for 3 years. He was good, reliable, and stable. Granted, there were no good surprises with James, but there were no bad ones either.

Then there was Andrew. He and James were a lot alike. Both smart and funny. Both were settled and reliable. Stable. They were both her type. What made Andrew different? He was new. Allie didn't know everything about him yet. That must be what makes him so appealing. That and the fact that she can't have him, because she's stuck with James.

Allie banged her head against the couch with a grimace. What can I do? She knew what she could do. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Allie figured she could just ignore what she was feeling and sooner or later, it would go away. Andrew was just a passing fad. He was just a guy she met at the Barnes and Noble, nothing to be apprehensive about. He would be no trouble at all.

Then why did I give him my phone number? Stupid, stupid girl. I know better than that. Allie fought with herself. It was harmless though. What I have is a small infatuation over a passing stranger in a bookstore. That's all. He probably won't even call... again.

Allie threw herself on the couch. I talked to him for two hours. I know better than that! What's the matter with me? Am I so bored that I need to talk to a stranger for two hours to feel exciting? She flipped over and stared at the ceiling. Okay, that's it. If he calls again, I'm just not going to answer. I'm just not going to do it. I'm a smart girl. I've got a good thing going, with me and James. There are no surprises, there's no drama, and there's no sex. Allie sat straight up. Her hand flew to her mouth in alarm. Did she just think that? She did. Why was this happening? She should be happy! She's got a great guy! What more could she want?

The word flew through her head like a bat out of hell.

Andrew.

Wordcount: 382. Stop the internal monologue. You do it way too much.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great ! Allie seems to be such a natural character . Honestly , I feel maybe Allie needs more than just a great guy in her life !! I think I have spoken to so many beautiful women in my life but unfortunately they were so beautiful that they already had a guy in their lives . But I think if any one of those girls had anything like what's going on inside Allie's head , guys like me would never get anywhere in the scene !!

Keep up the good work !!

I'll be following your blog since I liked your post !!

yours truly ,
Anuj K

9/30/2008 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home